If you are a marketing professional, how do you stay tuned to the dual role you have?
On the one hand, you help the organization to connect more efficiently with their customer base.
If your clients are anything like mine, they probably know they need help with:
- finding ways to increase the volume of work done for each client
- increasing the longevity of each client relationship
- identifying which clients are most profitable and where we might find more like them
- clarifying which clients are least profitable and either find economical ways to serve them or ways to share the work potential with others who could serve them more efficiently
- providing solid and tangible discussion ideas to fuel conversations with clients and prospects (based on research and market trends)
- Making it easy/easier to stay in touch with existing clients by providing tools and systems to provoke connections
That makes marketing both a functional expertise and a means for aligning strategy and organizational culture.
- Helping to coordinate activities more effectively across the business, so we amplify rather than duplicate efforts
- Helping to determine which behaviours enhance the firm’s reputation and contribute towards the organizations strategic goals, and which behaviours are holding them back
- Helping to develop trust and respect for each other’s contribution and expertise so they can confidently broaden relationships with our clients across different practices or business units
- Helping to establish more systematic and disciplined approached to the ways they initiate, build and deepen relationships with clients
Just as you might implement listening posts, market research and client feedback tools for your external clients, are you doing the same for your internal clients?
Do you invest time and energy in getting to understand your employers business model? Do you know how they make money and stay profitable? Do you spend time watching them in action, delivering product or service to their clients? Do you attend sales calls with them, or get to know how the products are developed so you can advise how and where they might improve coordination and efficiency?
What are the ways you stay connected to what your clients really need from you?